Summer hasn't been kicked off until the first cherries are in season. While the bright and shiny fruits make for an easy summer snack to simply eat out of a bowl, don't be afraid to incorporate them into your favorite recipe.
Here's a cherry-filled summer dessert to get started with: mini cherry tarts.
What you'll need:
- 1 pie crust (store bought or homemade)
For the filling...
- 1 pound (3 cups) cherries, halved and pitted
- 1/3 cup sugar (P.S. these are the cutest measuring cups).
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the crust:
- Egg wash
- 1/2 tablespoon Cane sugar or Turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- For mini cherry tarts, separate your dough into 5 sections. Roll out into circles on a floured surface. (If you decide to make one large cherry tart, simply roll out your dough into a large circle and continue with the below instructions.
- In a large bowl, combine halved and pitted cherries with sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Transfer your circles of dough onto a greased baking sheet.
- Spoon your filling into the center of each circle, leaving about an inch and a half on the edge. (If you're a crust-lover, leave about 2 inches of dough around the edge). Fold up the edges so your filling feels loved and is snug.
- Brush the edges with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for an hour, or until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown. Let cool then enjoy!