A great cornbread will never let you down -- whether it's for Thanksgiving or just as a weeknight treat.
This is one of my favorite cornbread recipes because it's simple to whip together and you get a great crust from the cast iron pan. Try it for yourself and let me know what you think!
Cast Iron Buttermilk Cornbread
What you need:
- 1 8" cast iron skillet (I love Lodge for cast irons!)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F & coat your cast iron with avocado oil (any kind of vegetable oil will work) using a paper towel.
- Mix together the melted butter and sugar. Add in the egg and whisk together until fluffy.
- Whisk in the buttermilk and baking soda. Then add the cornmeal, flour and salt. Your batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Add in the batter into your cast iron skillet and bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick or knife come out clean from the center when inserted.